The fraud dispute category is one of the four dispute categories for first-time disputes. This category is used when the cardholder claims that they did not recognize a transaction, nor did they participate or provide permission for the transaction to be charged to their account. The assumption is that the cardholder’s card information has been used without their knowledge. Included in this category are disputes created as a result of “friendly fraud.” This type of fraud may be caused unknowingly by a cardholder’s family member or knowingly by the cardholder.
When responding to these types of disputes in Qualpay Manager, you will be prompted for additional compelling evidence and supporting documentation. Include the following information:
- A one-page concise review of why you are responding to the dispute:
- Summarize the supporting information you are including;
- Address specific complaints or points made in the cardholder documentation (viewable in the Dispute Detail);
- Highlight key timeline points, customer interactions, or relevant compelling information that provides evidence that the cardholder participated in the transaction.
- Include supporting compelling evidence such as:
- Positive Address Verification (AVS) and Card Verification Value (CVV) matches during authorization;
- Proof of product delivery to the cardholder (use of a delivery vendor that has tracking and requires signature is advised);
- Copy of receipts, invoices, or contracts including a description of any products or services provided;
- Any communication with cardholder regarding the purchase including cardholders email address;
- Proof that the cardholder downloaded goods from your company’s website including purchaser’s IP address, time, date, and device details;
- The card is used in a previously undisputed transaction;
- Other proof that the cardholder or a member of their family has received and/or used the merchandise or services.
The following table provides the reason description and the reason code used by a particular card brand:
|Reason Code Description||Visa Pre VCR||Visa Post VCR||MasterCard||Discover||American Express|
|Fraud Card Not Present||83||10.4||4837|
|Fraud Card Present||85||10.3||4837||UA01||127|
|Chip/PIN Liability Shift||62||10.1|
*No longer supported as of July 17, 2020.